RE: Gum in the darkroom

From: Keith Gerling (keithgerling@att.net)
Date: 03/20/03-07:18:28 AM Z

Lisa,

Given a long exposure, I'm sure you could make gum prints in the shade.
Prints DO fog when allowed to sit outside for hours. Mind you, I'm still
fairly cautious - when the emulsion is dry, I usually cover it until it's
ready to be used. Seldom does a print get more than 15-20 minutes of "shade
time" before it gets a proper exposure, which ironically is back inside,
either under a UV bank or under a Violux light source. I started working
outside in the shade after it occurred to me that my studio on a sunny
afternoon was actually as bright inside as a shady morning outside. Why not
enjoy the birds while I work (although it DOES expose the drying prints to
other windborne risks- AND the birds). A couple of other observations
regarding the sensitivity of gum emulsions (and I encourage you to perform
your own tests. Inform us if your results differ from mine):

1) Tray development in water can be performed in any light situation,
including bright sunlight. Some people advise otherwise, but in my
experience the dichromate usually is released within seconds of hitting the
tray. Although the development might take considerably longer, the emulsion
is no longer light sensitive.

2) Registration of negatives can be safely performed over a light table. My
light table is four 24" fluorescent bulbs mounted in a wooden box and
covered with a sheet of glass.

Good luck!

Keith