Gum printing, humidity and staining

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 03/20/03-06:28:02 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> >... my experience has been that humidity affects exposure, but not
>> staining per se.

>I find it hard to separate humidity from heat-and-humidity, as in NYC
>summer. When it's not hot, humidity is rarely over 45 in the studio, and
>often in the 20s, and though the difference will affect drying time of >the
>emulsion, it doesn't affect much else -- but then again the absolute
>amount of moisture in the air is much less than when it's hot.

>Liam says that his studio is generally about 65 RH year round, which may
be more like upper west coast of US.

It never fails to amuse me how confidently people offer opinions about
things they know nothing about. In NYC, it's only humid when it's hot;
ergo we must assume as a general rule that it can't be humid and cool?
And because Liam Lawless's studio stands at about 65% humidity year
around, ergo mine must be the same? One hardly knows what to say.

I just checked the weather map; the humidity today in my specific neck
of the woods is 90%, and it's not even raining today. For your
information, we have two seasons here: the rainy season and the not
rainy season; during the not-rainy season the average relative humidity
is about 65, in the rainy season, it's more like 85. My daughter, who
lives in Minneapolis, hates to come here in the winter because the cold
here is so much more miserable, she says, than the cold there, even
though it's much warmer here than there. The point being that humidity
adds to discomfort whether it's hot or cold, but in either case it's
WET.

I'm not disputing the assertion that heat, or even heat in combination
with humidity, may contribute to staining in a way that a cold humidity
doesn't; I wasn't speaking for the world in general but only for my own
experience in my own climate, when I said that in my experience,
humidity does not cause staining.
Katharine Thayer