Re: Gum printing, humidity and staining

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/21/03-12:45:00 AM Z

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Katharine Thayer wrote:

> It never fails to amuse me how confidently people offer opinions about
> things they know nothing about. In NYC, it's only humid when it's hot;
> ergo we must assume as a general rule that it can't be humid and cool?
> And because Liam Lawless's studio stands at about 65% humidity year
> around, ergo mine must be the same? One hardly knows what to say.

If I have amused Katharine, I have clearly done my mite today for the sum
total of human happiness... But she has puzzled me, having reversed my
meaning: I was suggesting exactly that the west coast might, like England,
be (relatively) humid and cool. I will add that I have close family there
whose frequent weather reports also evoke the weather in the Swiss valley
where we lived long ago (though I never gum printed there).

Those locales do indeed connect humid and cool, albeit to a New Yorker,
relatively mild in winter and enviably cool in summer. I recall my Swiss
neighbor, when the temperature reached a scorching 80 degrees F
(27 C), mopping her brow and exclaiming, "Es ist wie ein schungel!" ("It's
like a jungle"), although my recollection of Swiss dialect after all these
years may add further amusement.

Moreover, Katherine seems to have missed my "may" in reference to west
coast, although my "may" may be unfailingly amusing to her. Lucky woman.

Judy