Re: varnish

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/29/03-10:31:02 PM Z

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Just tried another varnish (I must be really into this varnish thing;
> dreamt last night I found a book in a used bookstore called Vernis Soehnee;
> what a find) called Golden Polymer UV Varnish, from Daniel Smith. On top of

I'm still mopping up, but at least at the point where I can THINK varnish.
Planning, Chris, to try one of your boiling formulas, if all goes well &
the crick don't rise, this week.

Don't know if it's clear from the DS catalog that GOLDEN is a company...
they are a serious & important maker of acrylic paint & varnishes, sold in
most art supply stores. Liquitex used to be the only one, but are now
bought by --- oh drat-- can't remember, some big company like Procter &
Gamble (almost), they've kind of dumbed down their product... items that
sell small are dropped (same at Winsor Newton, bought by -- was it
liquitex?). Golden is still a family run business, like Gamblin, though
AFAIK Gamblin doesn't do acrylic paints, only oil paints & acrylic
varnishes and sizes for paints & canvas, of which I got a couple of
samples to test for watercolor paper.

I made some notes, BTW, on pigments listed as staining in the literature I
have from W-N, & a couple of other companies... some agree with, some
don't agree with Daniel Smith and/or Hilary Page, most don't agree with me
-- tho ALL have thalo & quinacridone red as non-staining (as do I).

I may have failed to mention that my Hilary Page book arrived from Amazon
Dot Com in one day -- and I was charmed to find her hand written
corrections/additions in it: my thought was, here's a girl after my own
heart. But ultimately I found it hard to navigate... If you could only
take best parts of Wilcox & best of Hilary together, I think you'd have
one TERRIFIC book... but quinacridone red under "coral colors"? I did
finally think to look in the index... but, well, I guess we should give
thanks for such info as is given... and having been given some tubes of
Graham watercolor, which I'd never heard of, I was delighted to see Page
had them & rated them highly.

Next to see if they WORK highly ! Think I'm rambling... Is there a law
against that?

thanks for info on the varnishes...

Judy