RE: OT: Cleaning up in the darkroom

From: Joachim Oppenheimer (joachim@microdsi.net)
Date: 03/31/03-09:51:52 PM Z

I will never forget the near-paranoia at RIT about clean trays. It was an
orthodox religious ritual to scrub them so thoroughly that they probably
became contaminated by the cleaning. I will grant that cleanliness is
important, but organization much more so. Plastic trays retains chemicals
and it is wise to dedicate these trays to specific functions. It is
surprising how much gunk can be salvaged from plastic trays. My trays are
all labeled. For utmost in cleanliness consider glass or enamel, and that is
all I use for alternative processes. I also use only metal tongs, also
dedicated; expensive, but they will last well past my estate plans. Of
course, gloves obviate the need for tongs in most situations and when
working in alternative processes it is best to avoid tongs altogether. For
screens, I roll out three-foot wide plastic screening and hose that down
with a garden hose after a session. But most darkroom contamination come
from contacts we rarely consider, including our clothes, but especially the
outside of storage bottles and containers. By the way, I rinse the exterior
of all my chemistry bottles with plain water after a session. Most of the
time reasonable care and rinsing are all you need in the darkroom. Joachim