Re: Seeking Relief - Gum Tumescence

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/03/03-11:34:21 PM Z

I think anyway Clay is teasing with that subject line -- trying to act
like spam-I had about 40 e-mails when I logged on tonight on the topic,
definitely promising more tumescence.

Relief in printing is promised in a number of formulas, I've filed them,
wherever, but not tried. However checking Cassell's I see entries for
"Relief, Gelatine," which says "see Gelatine Reliefs" and Relief,
Photographs in, which claims enough relief to cast in plaster of Paris
(tho of a high-contrast print), and ends with a list of see alsos...like
Bas reliefs, and photo lithophane. I'll add that many years ago I saw
some lithophanes reproduced in a photo magazine -- they were exquisite.

I also remember the cover of an early Untitled (from Friends of
Photography), if memory serves by Darryl Curran -- a charming relief --
but I don't know if any of them give the detail and gradation of the gum
print.

I'd also check some of the Dictionary of Photography's from the '20s
through 40s... odds are they'll have something on the topic too.

Judy