Re: Aquarium heater alternatives

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 05/05/03-05:51:02 PM Z

Guess I had better explain what I am doing so you will really know
that is alt stuff.

For a while now I have been making carbon tissue using a flexible
magnetic sheeting frame over a plate of galvanized steel, in which I
pour the pigmented gelatin. I pour an excess of solution into the
opening, and then smooth it out by rolling over it with a very warm
stainless steel rod of about 1 1/4" OD, which leaves a gelatin
coating exactly the same thickness as the magnetic sheeting material.
The rod is preheated to about 110F before I began the coating
operation, and at this temperature it works perfectly, smoothing out
the surface of the carbon tissue, blowing away the bubbles and oil,
and leaving a surface that is mirror smooth and nice as any
commercial tissue one might have been able to buy in the past. The
problem is, the rod cools quickly.

What I want to do is encapsulate a submersible heater inside a water
filled hollow tube of stainless steel to keep the rod at a steady
110F, thus obviating the need to return it constantly to hot water
for re-heating. The problem is those aquarium folks are concerned
about those wimpy little tropical fish getting warmer than about 95F
so they have a setting on the heater that prevents you from setting
it at more than that temperature and cooking their tails.

And thanks for all the advice, here on list and off.

Sandy King