Re: Scotland and Great Britain Trip

From: Hamish Stewart (hamish.stewart@gumphoto.demon.co.uk)
Date: 05/15/03-12:23:31 AM Z

On 14/5/03 05:56, "Bruce" <steelbar@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I am heading to Great Britain from mid June to mid July. I will be
> travelling from Skye to Edinburgh than down the east coast to London. Does
> any one know of galleries or other sites of interest for alt photography.
> Thanks
> Bruce

In Edinburgh visit the national portrait and the national gallery. There was
an excellent show last year at the national on Hill and Adamson, which I
gather is held in their collection, though I am not sure how to view it. In
london Julia Margaret Cameron has a show at the portrait gallery which you
may still catch, I just can't recall the closing date. When you are in
London, take a look at the Guardian whats on guide which comes with the
Saturday edition for a full list of shows. In london you should also visit
the V&A, where they have a print room which would allow you to see first
hand their photo collection, which includes alt stuff. If you are interested
in seeing the collection of the RPS, I gather this now resides in the museum
of film and photography in Bradford, but I do not now how far the process of
cataloguing etc has progressed.

BTW if you are visiting Skye you must also visit Harris and Lewis which are
to the east and a short ferry ride. Totally different topography and feel to
Skye. Feel free to ask me more about this offline if you wish. I lived in
Edinburgh for several years and did a trip to the western isles, which
included Skye harris and lewis. Skye is wonderful but I think you would
appreciate the contrast with the other two.

Have a good trip.

Cheers
Hamish Stewart - Gum Bichromate Photographer - visit
<http://www.gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk>
for gum bichromate images, technical information and links to recommended
resources on alternative photographic processes.
mailto:<hamish.stewart@gumphoto.demon.co.uk>