Re: Large Vacuum Frame

From: Bill Marsh (redcloud54@earthlink.net)
Date: 05/17/03-05:48:17 PM Z

Sandy,

I use the exact same setup. My frame has hard rubber feet,
presumably to keep it from scooting, which is exactly what
has to be done to load and unload it since it is only a foot
or so from the light bank.

I have tried many things to make the vacuum frame easier to
push and pull around. There is a graphite impregnated strip
that is used to reduce friction on belt sanders. It can be
glued to the table upon which the frame will rest, under the
path of the feet. It works well, but wears out rather
quickly with the usual printing load.

There is also a vinyl strip that woodworkers put on the
metal "fences" of table saws to reduce friction. The
frame's feet slide easily on this but it is rather narrow so
the feet inevitably slide off it and that becomes a
nuisance. Both this strip and the graphite can be had at
The Sanding Catalog (woodworkingshop.com).

I've also used discarded litho plates that can be had for
free from newspapers and offset printers, but they can
produce unwanted reflections.

Actually, frisbees work really well, glued to the feet, or
not. The lip on the frisbee keeps it under the foot
regardless of how it is pushed around. They can be had in
"mini" versions.

The plastic lids from Planters nut cans work, but are not as
robust. There are also those appliance mover disks that
make it easier to shove fridges and sofas around.

Basically any hard plastic thingy that can be placed between
the feet and the wood table top will work.

Hope this helps.

Bill