Re: Gold toners and Kallitype

From: Richard Urmonas (rurmonas@senet.com.au)
Date: 05/19/03-03:56:57 PM Z

On 2003.05.19 23:32 "Breukel, C. (HKG)" wrote:

> And related: Sandy uses an acid Gold toner (citric acid), but
> according to
> Reilly (The salted paper and albumen print book, or something similar
> as
> title), warns against using acidic gold toners, they are supposed to
> result
> in a weaker image (by heart; an acidic goldtoner replaces an silver
> atom
> 1:1, a basic one 1 silver for 3 gold)?

I looked into this a while ago. My interpretation (as a non chemist)
is that there is a "window" of pH where proper gold toning will occur.
This "window" is from slightly acidic to medium alkaline. A strong
acid will result in a weak image, a strong alkaly will result in no
toning.

Richard

---
Richard Urmonas