Gold toners and Kallitype

From: Breukel, C. (HKG) (C.Breukel@lumc.nl)
Date: 05/19/03-08:02:40 AM Z

To Sandy and everybody else who wants to contribute,

I have been printing Kallitypes lately, following the procedure as Sandy
King had nicely wrote down and distributed to the list. The results are very
nice.

When you use a gold toner before the fix, the colour of the final print is
determined by the gold toner, not by the developer, Sandy told me. This
makes ofcourse sense.

But there are quite bunch of different gold tonere formula's around, so I
was wondering if these different formula's give different colours in the
end?

And related: Sandy uses an acid Gold toner (citric acid), but according to
Reilly (The salted paper and albumen print book, or something similar as
title), warns against using acidic gold toners, they are supposed to result
in a weaker image (by heart; an acidic goldtoner replaces an silver atom
1:1, a basic one 1 silver for 3 gold)?

thanks & best,

Cor