Re: Photogravure question

From: Craig Zammiello ^lt;zamm@optonline.net>
Date: 11/02/03-08:51:36 AM Z

Jack,
It is indeed easy to make consistent copper plate photogravures,
but the key to success lies in the word "consistent". In a class situation
where you don't have controls over
your materials and workspace, it is common to run into problems. The fact
that the same problems happen to everyone in the class is evidence of this.
When you speak of "photo emulsion", I'm guessing you are referring to
potassium dichromate. It must be kept at 45 F to stop it from degrading and
filtered each time you use it to remove the gelatin precipitate otherwise it
is hard to achieve any consistency with your carbon tissue.
Drop me an email and I'll try to troubleshoot your problems one by one
without cluttering the list.
zamm@optonline.net

Also, I think that Photogravure should remain a term describing the
historical process. Using photopolymer plates is just another way of doing a
photoengraving, having nothing in common with the original process except
the usage of light and intaglio printmaking. Just my two cents.
Cheers, Craig Zammiello