Re: Re: Photogravure question

From: Craig Zammiello ^lt;zamm@optonline.net>
Date: 11/02/03-03:21:45 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <jpptprnt@verizon.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 3:11 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Photogravure question

> Jack and Craig,
>
> Some of the first work that I did started to look very good. Buy using a
> stocastic screen(sp) and a double exposure, I think that the polymer
process
> is getting very close. David Hoptman showed some work at APIS using a
very
> fine screen that knocked may socks off. And the people at LensWorks are
doing
> a fine job with their polymer plates. The hard part for me is the inking
of
> the plate, but it will come in time.
>
> Jan Pietrzak

Jan,
No doubt,
I've seen very nice polymer intaglios, really nice. But I have also seen
incredible pigmented inkjet prints and fantastic iris prints. They all have
a very common flatness to them.They are beautiful, but there is a certain
"funky" feeling that is missing. It is a hard one to explain, but the usage
of an actual rosin grain on the plate is hard to match.

I just don't think they should be referred to as Photogravures, touchy
subject with me. :)