Re: Gum Woes II (fwd)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/02/03-05:30:22 PM Z

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Gary Nored wrote:

> I've gotten a single layer gum bromide to work tolerably well. I
> decided that it was time to take the next step. I wanted to add
> another color.

Gary, what is a "gum bromide"?

> Second Problem
> The second layer flakes (is that the term?); ie, little spots (more
> than were visible during coating) fall off in the wash, ruining the
> image. The specks never dissolve. What's going on with that?
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? Should I dampen the print
> before applying the second sensitized coating?

In my experience, "specks" nearly always come from faulty sizing. What
have you done to size? What is it made of? Another time I saw specks was
when a student was "developing" his first coat with scalding water, which
also apparently killed. Interestingly, another coat of gelatin size on
top of the bad stuff cured it.

I know people do dampen a paper before coating. The one time I tried it
was disaster -- stain city. So I suppose it varies according to the other
variables, but I'd try to pinpoint the trouble without it. Flaking is
likely to be too much size or too thick emulsion or too much paint in the
emulsion.

Meanwhile, how are you mixing your paint into the emulsion? With a glass
rod or popsicle stick? Accident waiting to happen. Use a small brush, it
distributes the paint much more smoothly and completely.

Judy