Re: Request for Alt Proc Links

From: Kate Mahoney ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 11/03/03-12:09:12 AM Z

> Actually what I did was take a screenshot of my background, combine with
> an arrow and text in Paint Shop Pro to make my "Next photo>" button which
is at
> http://www.darkroompro.com/images/next.jpg. The resulting image is only
1460
> KB and blends into the page.

I've just made a humble"home" link :)

> I see that you're using valueweb as your server. Allow me to recommend
> Dixiesys and 8-95.com. There value is second to none (up to 4 Domains,800
MB
> of space and 10 GB of transfer for just $8.95/month) and I'm very
impressed with
> their service. They have an online trouble ticket system and usually any
TT is
> addressed within 30 minutes.

This is the only way I can get a free site & being a student that's the most
important consideration.

> Next would be your choice of registrar. I'm sure it's convenient to have
> an "all-in-one" package but I prefer to keep my domains registered through
> separate registrar. I recommend http://www.godaddy.com. Again for both an
> unbeatable value and great service.

I actually have a separate domain registrar, at least I thought it was -
domainz may be related to my ISP but it presents itself as separate grrrrr.

 I've recently started
> using FrontPage as my site has simply gotten too big for me to visualize.
That
> happens when you get over 1500 pages ;>) Anyway, FP has improved to
> the point where I can actually recommend it.

Ha - can't afford to replace Dreamweaver!

> > My biggest problem has been photographing the works on
> > glass - what a nightmare!
>
> Yes, I know the feeling. I was once contracted to make negatives of some
> very old, irreplaceable prints which were poorly mounted in inexpensive
framing
> with the most glaring glass I have ever seen. No matter my approach, they
simply
> reflected any light/shadow back onto my negatives. Polarizors on both the
lights
> and the camera and it was still a challenge.

I've been using a digital camera so I can at least throw away the bad images
and reshoot straight away. My next lot of documenting them will be with the
polariser. I'm using natural light in a hallway with high windows - lots of
reflected diffuse light.I will try a light tent if that doesn't work.

I'm lucky enough to be out of the "baby stage"except as far as grandchildren
goes but they're less stressful anyway!

Thanks for the help
Kate