Re: Request for Alt Proc Links

From: John ^lt;ap@darkroompro.com>
Date: 11/02/03-08:50:05 PM Z

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 22:12:16 +1300, you wrote:

> Thanks for the constructive comments. I got so caught up in finally getting
> the site built that I got a bit carried away with the graphics.

        We all make that mistake ;>)

>I think you're right and the buttons are unnecessary particularly on the gallery
> pages. It's actually easier to use the browser forward and back arrows!

        Actually what I did was take a screenshot of my background, combine with
an arrow and text in Paint Shop Pro to make my "Next photo>" button which is at
http://www.darkroompro.com/images/next.jpg. The resulting image is only 1460
KB and blends into the page.

>I'm not even ON broadband <blushes>. Not bad for a first attempt tho I think....

        Not bad at all. Just a couple more pointers for a budding webmaster ;>)

        I see that you're using valueweb as your server. Allow me to recommend
Dixiesys and 8-95.com. There value is second to none (up to 4 Domains,800 MB
of space and 10 GB of transfer for just $8.95/month) and I'm very impressed with
their service. They have an online trouble ticket system and usually any TT is
addressed within 30 minutes.

        Next would be your choice of registrar. I'm sure it's convenient to have
an "all-in-one" package but I prefer to keep my domains registered through a
separate registrar. I recommend http://www.godaddy.com. Again for both an
unbeatable value and great service.

        Lastly, I don't usually make this recommendation but I've recently started
using FrontPage as my site has simply gotten too big for me to visualize. That
happens when you get over 1500 pages ;>) Anyway, FP has improved to
the point where I can actually recommend it.

> I'm going away from nudes at the moment - they are quite easy to make cheesy
> anyway - but I have been working with the notion of skin this year so the
> bodies have been important.....final work is looking like being all hands
> and feet anyway!

        I'm working more with people these days. I'm hoping to get back to having
my own studio though having 2 children in 2 years, moving twice and finally
buying a home has kept me too busy.

> My biggest problem has been photographing the works on
> glass - what a nightmare!

        Yes, I know the feeling. I was once contracted to make negatives of some
very old, irreplaceable prints which were poorly mounted in inexpensive framing
with the most glaring glass I have ever seen. No matter my approach, they simply
reflected any light/shadow back onto my negatives. Polarizors on both the lights
and the camera and it was still a challenge.

--
Regards,
	John S. Douglas, Photographer