Photogravure Poly is Groovie

From: Robert Newcomb ^lt;Robert.Newcomb@gactr.uga.edu>
Date: 11/03/03-10:23:29 AM Z

According to my understanding of this information below from the web site of Strange Ross, polymer gravure is not a planographic process ie: litho. In this quote from his web site, he talks of grooves and
accumulation of ink in the grooves.
"The mechanism of the process is as follows: If a single exposure to UV light is made through the aquatint screen, after development the polymer surface
will be covered with a network of fine ridges and grooves, much like the aquatint of an etched metal plate; once the plate is inked up, the printing ink
lodges in the grooves, and the plate will print a deep black. However, if the polymer plate is given an additional exposure with a continuous-tone positive
of the chosen image, then the UV light - according to the densities of the positive - will harden the potential ridges and grooves to varying degrees; this
again will produce variations in the amount of accumulated ink, with corresponding modulations of the tones of the print."
My 2 cents worth,
Robert Newcomb