Re: Gum -- Drying temperature

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 11/06/03-08:24:19 AM Z

I typically work on several prints during a gum printing session. I live in
a very dry climate and do not normally use heat to dry the paper. I start
making exposures as soon as the emulsion is dry.

Sometimes, before making additional exposures on a print, I use a hair dryer
with gentle heat to shrink the paper slightly to achieve perfect
re-registration with the negative. I'll sometimes dampen the backside of a
print slightly to expand it, again to match the negative. I have not seen
any damaging or negative effects from using this slight amount of dampness
or heat.

It's great to hear that you made a good print during your latest session.
If you're not already doing so, I suggest keeping detailed notes so that you
can repeat your successes and troubleshoot the failures.

I certainly don't think you're "hogging the list" by asking questions. This
list is a tremendous resource, please continue to use it.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Big Wonderful Wyoming