Re: Digital camera blues

From: Eric Nelson ^lt;emanmb@yahoo.com>
Date: 11/07/03-11:50:54 PM Z

After a 2 year hiatus from travel, I'm off for Bangkok
and various countries nearby in Dec. Wanting to do
images for stock to help pay for this trip, I gave
consideration to getting a better (5 megapixel or
more) digital camera. I wanted a smallish one as
well.
I LOVE using them BUT when I thought of the short
"lifespan" of such cameras I decided to get a good
scanner on my return instead, and just add my 35mm to
my bag.

Since the quality of image is so much greater on film,
there's the slow response times on the cameras making
"the decisive moment" a little less so, and the
limited size one can enlarge to from these cams, my
Blad and 35mm will serve me a lot better I feel.
Bottom line, I'd rather see grain than pixels in my
images. Even after monkeying w/Photoshop plugins like
Extensis Pixel Smart and Genuine Fractals, I found
that a good scan tops digital originals from an
affordable digital cam.($1000 or less)

Yes my gear weighs a lot for carrying around in the
tropics, (12 lbs. w/my DV cam) but if I never get back
there again, I'd rather have it all on film. I've
traveled 4 years in a row overseas w/a digital cam and
love the images I got w/it, the immediacy of the
process, how those images supplemented my film images,
and auto white balance(you gotta love that). Too bad
I can't love them any larger than a 5x7. With
unlimited funds, I'd certainly think twice about a pro
level digital...unfortunately me no have.
Eric
http://www.eman-photo.com/