Re: Speed Point in PT/PD printing?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/08/03-01:14:47 PM Z

I have plotted quite a number of curves ranging from prints made with
pure platinum to various mixtures of pt/pd to pure palladium so I am
well aware of the fact that the shape of the curve varies a lot
depending on the exact composition of the sensitizer, and other
factors as well.

The issue is that one type of light might indicate a higher effective
printing speed than another if you set the speed point as in the
silver convention, but if you set the point at 90% of Dmax the
opposite could very well be true. In my own work I always establish
exposure time by about 95% of Dmax, and then adjust other conditions
for contrast. How do other workers determine the best exposure time
when evaluating a pt/pd test print?

Sandy