Re: Digital camera blues - storage

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 11/09/03-05:16:01 PM Z

Phillip,

If you are shooting digital, there is no point or need in storing files
at 57Mb, though I think your calculation would be suitable if you were
scanning film for digital storage. I shoot raw files which are just under
10Mb, these are the closest digital equivalent of negatives. These can be
upsized to 57Mb tiffs if required, though there is generally little point
in doing so. I normally store them as the raw files, writing to CDR and
also hard disk. There are also a few Kb of data in the raw file converter
database, keeping the corrections I made to the output so I can write out
a tiff any time.

If I want to store as TIFF, for example where I have done extensive
retouching on the original, these would take 17Mb each (or 34Mb if I
wanted to keep the files as 16bit per channel.) The quality of the digital
files means that this is equivalent to a scanned file of roughly 3 to 4
times the size by the way - your 57Mb. I use printing software (Q-Image)
that upsizes (or downsizes) the file optimally to send to the printer for
the print size required, so there is little point in saving upsized files.

So your relatively low volume user would only need 4 or 5 DVDs a year, and
it would take them around 5 years to fill a 120 Gb hard drive. So the
costs are around 20 USD for the DVDs and perhaps the same again for the
hard drive, around 40USD total.

However, I shoot about ten times this on digital, and still also perhaps 5
times on film. So storage costs for both are noticable. Storage space
starts to be an important factor too (digital wins on this one - 4 DVDs
take up less space than a large file.)

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com