Re: Speed Point in PT/PD printing?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/09/03-03:23:01 PM Z

Clay,

Palladium, platinum and kallitype are all based on the light
sensitive qualities of ferric oxalate. On exposure to ultraviolet
light, ferric iron is reduced to ferrous iron, Fe (2+). However, to
make a permanent print, ferrous iron must be further reacted with
something else, the something else being palladium, platinum or
silver. There is no question but that the major variable is ferric
oxalate, but the metal with which ferrous iron is reacted also plays
an important role in final density with a given time of exposure.

I used two different light sources in my work. With one source
Kallitype and palladium curves are almost identical, but kallitype is
over 1/2 stop faster than palladium. And a combination of platinum is
even slower than pure palladium. However, with another source that
peaks at a different wavelength, a mixture of of pt/pd is faster.
This suggests to me that the metal itself is a very significant
variable.

Sandy