Re: Digital camera blues

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/09/03-09:05:29 PM Z

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Bob and Carla wrote:
> I would like to answer one more thing, butting in at the
> last...The Canon G3/G4 ($500.00-$600.00) in my opinion is the highest
> professional-quality digital camera, without going to the $!,500.00
> SLR's (which handle the Canon/Nikon lenses).
>
> Why? Because if for no other reason, It's capture CCD for 4-5
> megapixels is much larger capture area (think larger negative) than
> the Nikon counterpart for 4-5 megapixels. In fact, the last time I
> checked, Nikon gets to 5 megapixels in these rangefinder-style
> cameras by software interpolation.

This is not one of those explanations i understand perfectly, tho it is
quite nice to have. Thank you. After studying the comments from list &
getting a couple more offlist, I contemplate:

1. The Canon you mention, which has the swivel monitor, but weighs at
least 14.8 ounces (I only have the data on the 4 mp). It will also do
RAW, I am informed by an offlist savant, and it's got "superb Canon EX
strobes," etc. Maybe too good for me.

2. The Canon A 80, which weighs only 8.8 oz, also with swivel monitor,
but only 4 mp.

I hope to hold each in hand this week.

3. Wait for the pixel pixie to send more models into the world -- tho that
could be counterproductive, as sometimes options grow fewer.

Bob Schramm's 4.6 mp Sony with the CDs is appealing/intriguing -- if only
they gave it a swivel. (A friend tells me the cable on the swivel tends
to get broken, which accounts for the apparent phasing out, tho strikes me
as a great loss to photography.)

Meanwhile, if I may apply again to the general good nature & expertise, 2
more questions:

1. Why do some of these cameras have 4, 5, and even 10 times optical
zooms ? As I recall, the 3X goes up to 110 mm or thereabouts. I myself
never use longer than that in analog. Would it be feasible/meaningful in
digital?

2. What is the "LF" neg that Argon mentions?

And PS. I can pass on a digital camera that handles "regular Nikon
lenses." Carrying them & changing them is a pain in the butt as far as
I'm concerned (tho probably OK for landscape, NOT for street shooting).
I can't wait to have a decent zoom, assuming it is, of course, and be done
with lens changing.

Again,

thanks & cheers,

Judy