Re: Digital camera blues

From: Thom Mitchell ^lt;tjmitch@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 11/11/03-08:57:14 AM Z

Judy, I'll be interested in your final decision, the one where you buy the
camera and then use it. My wife (and myself) love her Canon S50. It's fairly
light, has a 3x optical, 5MP sensor, short shutter lag (at least shorter
than most consumer cameras), but no swivel. It performs well on full auto
and on full manual. In addition you can easily dial down the flash for more
normal light blending. Also many of the controls have their own buttons
instead of being buried in menus in the display. Unless a specific older
model makes your heart sing, avoid each manufacturer's older models. The
software and other improvements are dramatic, especially in the last year.
The G3/G4 is not even close in real performance to the G5 because of the
focus improvements and the reduced shutter lag. I am sure similar
performance improvements hold true for other manufacturers as well.
    Another note, although your Nikon weighs a lot, weight can also be your
friend allowing you to hold the camera steady. As you would expect, like
many things there is a point of diminishing returns. My point is some of the
ultra-light digitals are very hard to hold steady because there is no mass
to overcome normal body tremor, etc. The difference in weight is between
some of the cameras you mention might be comparable to the difference
between a 10 or 12 oz can of soda and a 16 oz bottle of soda, albeit with
better ergonomics. My point is figure out what you'll use the camera the
most for and test accordingly. Maybe even go as far to as rent a camera or
two if you can find one to rent. As I mentioned my wife loves the S50, I
wanted her to buy a G5 (faster lens, 4x optical vs. 3x on the S50, swivel
monitor and a hotshoe). For her the small size of the S50 was the deciding
factor. She's happy and I'm saving my money for a DSLR anyway. Donations are
accepted.....
Good luck and please let us know you decision and your ultimate results.
Ciao, Thom