Re: My first VanDykes & questions

From: Silver Plated ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 11/12/03-09:35:41 AM Z

Loris,

1) I just filtered the precipitate and using the sensitizer that way
now; can the precipitate formation and the filtering of it ruin the
quality, contrast, color ect. of my prints (no big problems other than
low contrast so far)? Should I remake the sensitizer?

It has been my experience that you will normally have some sludge in the bottle after letting the mix season for 24 hours and I filter that.

> 2) Even filtered, a very small amount of precipitate was left in the
sensitizer bottle. I tried to coat paper both with and without shaking
the bottle and noticed no perceptible change in the results; is that
normal?

It is normal to have a small amount of precipitate even after filtering.

> 3) The contrast of the emulsion and dMax is very low. Again, Is that
normal?

I always double coat. If you are getting low contrast with a contrasty neg. then the sensitiser is probably to blame. You don't mention which paper you are using and how you are processing the paper. Have you printed a step tablet to determine the contrast range of the paper/sensitiser? You may wish to mix a new batch of sensitiser to compare your current results. That's possibly easier and cheaper than wasting your time and wasting paper.

You should be getting very good results following Wynn White's VDB workflow.

My thoughts,

Don Bryant