RE: When to tone?

From: Jonathan Bailey ^lt;jon@jonathan-bailey.com>
Date: 11/12/03-07:25:56 AM Z

Sandy,

> Is there any literature that compares the effectiveness of toning
> silver prints with either selenium or polysulfide during processing,
> while the print is still wet, as opposed to drying them first and
> toning several days or weeks later?

I'm not aware of any literature on the topic - unless Tim Rudman's new book
makes mention of it someplace I've not noticed.

Speaking from a decade of personal experience, I rarely tone prints
immediately after printing - i.e. while the print is still wet. I tend to
print for a period of time and then, at a later date, tone groups of images
in dedicated toning sessions.

I *have* wondered if the effects - in my case I'm looking for exotic color
and splits - would be different if I went straight through the entire
process wet. I've done this a few times (when I was feeling especially
ambitious) and I've never seen any visual effects I could attribute to not
allowing the print to dry between printing and toning.

I hope this helps....

Best - Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine