Re: When to tone?

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 11/12/03-08:19:14 AM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@silvergrain.org>
Sent: Nov 11, 2003 9:44 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca, sanking@clemson.edu
Subject: Re: When to tone?

From: Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>
Subject: When to tone?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:34:45 -0400

> Is there any literature that compares the effectiveness of toning
> silver prints with either selenium or polysulfide during processing,
> while the print is still wet, as opposed to drying them first and
> toning several days or weeks later?

I don't think that issue was studied and published (Do you know,
Richard?), but I don't see why/how that difference affects unless the
image degradation is already started while storage. There can be some
minor differences such as slight difference in necessary processing
time, resulting hue, etc. but it shouldn't be any larger than
day-to-day variation of usual darkroom practice.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)