RE: When to tone (or, how quickly they forget)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/13/03-09:14:25 PM Z

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Jonathan Bailey wrote:

> Ummmm........ so, what am I, chopped liver?? (wink) Judy, you're surely not
> forgetting the piece in issue #3 on split-toning with selenium and
> gold....??

Jon, I absolutely do not understand this wish to denigrate chopped liver
-- one of the major food groups. In fact with my own hands I prepared
chopped liver this summer for a pregnant friend and as a result she had
one of the most beautiful babies in recorded history. If you don't
overcook the onions and put in plenty of hard-boiled egg, the flavor is
sublime, although we no longer pour in the chicken fat :-( but saute the
onion in a LITTLE butter, and the flavor is also excellent. Of course it
helps if you have a really old (ca 80 years) hand cranked food grinder
with a little rust around the edges (even MORE iron), but you can buy
those in revival now. (Food processor too likely to make paste. Crumbly is
better.)

However, my abject apologies for forgetting your split toning article, tho
I do note that Sandy said *recent.* And the part about the lobstering &
the winemaking and the frames and Julia Child ("It's a shame to be caught
up in something that doesn't absolutely make you tremble with joy") were
equally diverting.

But by cosmic coincidence I heard John Yang mention GP-1 this very
afternoon. He & John Dugdale were talking about gold toning POP. The
reminder is thus doubly apt, because I can cite your process in John Y's
article, which I expect will also be memorable... (FLASH: As I recall, my
memory isn't what it used to be anyway.)

Therefore, thanks...

Judy