Re: When to tone?

From: bobkiss@caribsurf.com
Date: 11/14/03-07:24:13 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
     A question for the chemists on the list: Please let me know if
what I say below is correct.
     I seem to recall in the distant past (1971?) trying to stay awake
in an 8 am lecture by Dr. James from Kodak, author of THEORY OF THE
PHOTOGRAPHIC PROCESS, discussing Zwitter Ions and the complexity of the
silver-gelatin emulsion. He warned that the combination was so complex
that, if prints were dried when not sufficiently washed (iso-electric
point, and all that jazz) unbreakable links between the gelatin
molecules and pollutants (silver thiosulfate complexes et al) could be
formed. The result would be that they could not be removed with
subsequent washing or washing aids and would negatively impact on the
permanence of the print. It seems that this might offset the
beneficial effects of toning. This seems to imply that one must
proceed with complete fixation AND complete washing before drying even
if one intends to tone and give a subsequent complete wash after
toning.
     Again, I am not certain and I ask the photo-chemists on the list
to please advise...
        CHEERS!
           BOB