About softening gelatin.

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/15/03-03:20:20 PM Z

I have another question for the chemists. And BTW, although you may
be criticized them from time to time for being too technical let me
say that most of us really appreciate the information you are able to
share.

This is the issue. Although I dabble in a number of processes, from
an excess of curiosity perhaps, my main obsession is carbon printing,
which as far as I am concerned is absolutely the most beautiful
photographic printing process every devised. For a number of reasons
I prefer the double transfer method of carbon, in which the pigmented
relief is first developed on a plastic carrier and later transferred
to a permanent paper support. The problem is that for the final
transfer to take place all of the parts of the image on the plastic
must come into contact with the gelatin coated surface of the final
support. I very much like the convenience of matte surface and pebbly
surface photographic papers for the final support. However, the
gelatin of these papers if very hard, which means it will not swell
very much, as it must if a good transfer is to be achieved in double
transfer carbon. I have found that soaking the paper in very hot
water for an hour or so helps to swell the gelatin, as does soaking
the paper in very hot water in an alkaline solution. My question is
really this. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can soften to
the maximum the hardened gelatin of photographic papers? If possible
I would like to have it almost slimy to the touch.

I am aware this is not a general topic issue, but thanks for your indulgence.

Sandy King