first illustration of a photograph?

From: John F. Ptak ^lt;3legskilled@thesciencebookstore.com>
Date: 11/21/03-08:31:00 PM Z

Hello to the group. New member here and first time post. My question is in regards to an article by Golding Bird in "The Mirrour" (London) beginning April 20, 1839 and continued in 5 more parts through June 1839. It is a very early discussion of Daguerre's process--the quirky bit is that on the front cover of the first article there is an image of a "photo-genic drawing" (a botanical negative)made by Bird. Two questions: does anyone know of the first time a photograph is "illustrated" (not photographically)in a mass/trade publication? (It is an odd question in itself because it *is* an engraving/litho of a photo which may mean nothing in itself...) This has not been an easy matter to settle. Secondly, I wonder if it is possible if the "photo-genic" image is *not* a lithograph as I believe but some sort of photographic process? This image is larger than any other image that appears in this journal for 20 years (I have 45 years worth), and the ink is not only (unique to!
 this publication) brown but rather thick, easily osmosed to the rear of the paper.
There are all sorts of refs to the first image of a human face, the first of the moon, etc, in a long line of photographic firsts, but none refer to a simple first illustration of a photographic image.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Many thanks for this indulgence.

Best,
John Ptak