dags at met

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/22/03-12:36:54 AM Z

For anyone going to be around town over "the holidays" -- permit me to
recommend,

A lovely show of about 2 million daguerreotypes at the metropolitan museum
now til January. Not only is it the most dags I've ever seen in one
place, but they're beautiful & have the best lighting I've ever seen for
daguerreotypes -- none of that spotlight in the dark effect, but so
perfect it's almost too perfect.... you see every scratch.

Several of them are about 7 by 9 inches -- I took out my little pocket
tape to measure & expected alarm bells to ring. They didn't, tho of
course I was only close, no touching.

The show is worth a journey and the met is open til 8:45 Friday night.

Directly opposite, by the way, is the Philip Guston show -- I hadn't
expected to like it as much as I did. At the time everyone liked Guston's
abstractions & screamed bloody blue murder when he started turning out
"cartoon" paintings. Now they look exquisite & serene.

And the old Japanese ceramics (Oribe if I'm remembering right) are
delightful til Jan 11. some of the designs are breathtakingly "modern."

cheers,

Judy