Re: dags at met

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 11/22/03-04:37:01 AM Z

> For anyone going to be around town over "the holidays" -- permit me to
> recommend,
>
> A lovely show of about 2 million daguerreotypes at the metropolitan
> museum
> now til January. Not only is it the most dags I've ever seen in one
> place, but they're beautiful & have the best lighting I've ever seen for
> daguerreotypes -- none of that spotlight in the dark effect, but so
> perfect it's almost too perfect.... you see every scratch.
>
> Several of them are about 7 by 9 inches -- I took out my little pocket
> tape to measure & expected alarm bells to ring. They didn't, tho of
> course I was only close, no touching.
>
> The show is worth a journey and the met is open til 8:45 Friday night.
>
> Directly opposite, by the way, is the Philip Guston show -- I hadn't
> expected to like it as much as I did. At the time everyone liked
> Guston's
> abstractions & screamed bloody blue murder when he started turning out
> "cartoon" paintings. Now they look exquisite & serene.
>
> And the old Japanese ceramics (Oribe if I'm remembering right) are
> delightful til Jan 11. some of the designs are breathtakingly "modern."
>
> cheers,
>
> Judy

It sounds as if they may have got them better lit than when they were in
Paris this summer.

I reviewed the show in August and advised people to take a magnifying
glass, as although some were provided, they were generally not where I
wanted them, and also many had been lost.

There were also some much larger examples in the French showing - I assume
they are at the Met too. There was a very well-reproduced thick print
catalogue in French, though I think the Met were planning theirs on CD.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/