Re: Gum a la Sam Wang

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 11/23/03-06:09:31 AM Z

This is interesting; I think I'll take a neg into school and measure it on
the densitometer, but for sure the transparency substrate is pretty darn
flimsy compared to film.

Question: in the Epson 2200 box there is a little thing (scientific, no?)
where you can raise the gamma; does anyone do that when making negs? Does
it do anything?
Chris

<Judy said, large cut>I've always found that digital negs on paper or other
NON-FILM material
take about half or 2/3 the exposure of negs on film, all other things (eg
emulsion & mix) being equal. I concluded that the difference is due, not
to difference in contrast and density of the film negs v. digital negs,
since the densitometer finds them comparable-- I develop lith film for gum
to a contrast range of about 0.9, & print out digital negs at about the
same range.

My assumption has been that the substrate for the digital negs is more
transparent to UV than film is, that is, it transmits UV more completely.
And somewhere in distant memory I hear a "voice" on this list saying the
very same thing.