Opacity of digital negative substrates, was Re: Gum a la Sam Wang

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 11/23/03-09:22:56 AM Z

Chris,

As you know there are many substrates being used for digital
negatives but Pictorico is perhaps the most common. If you read a
plain piece of Pictorico with a densitometer in UV mode you will find
that it measures about log 0.15 or slightly higher. The UV reading of
most film substrates, by comparison, will read about log 0.05. In
other words Pictorico is less transparent to UV than film, not more.
Other substrates I have seen appear to be thinner and would probably
have less opacity.

Sandy