RE: slightly OT: tea toning cyanotypes

From: David J. Greiner ^lt;godlike@elp.rr.com>
Date: 11/24/03-07:11:23 AM Z

Well, as far a silver goes, I recall seeing some tea-toned prints done in the 30's at an art show once a short while back. Those that were toned with tea seemed no worse for wear than those from the same artist/time period that weren't toned. I seem to recall someone at the same show proclaiming that the tannin hardens the emulsion and protects the print. He may have been speaking out of his ass though, for I don't personally know one way or the other.

Archival issues aside, I've toned with everything from tea, coffee, food coloring, red wine, soy sauce, and various other things. My results have varied from "wow, that's awesome" to "why in the hell did I waste my time doing that?" I'll usually do anything to a print just to see what happens, but that's me and I'm easily bored.

I've only ever personally viewed cyanotype's toned with tea. I always thought it gave them a rather classic or antique (read _old_) look, which may not be everyone's cup of tea, so to speak. As previously noted it really only affect the paper giving various different shades to the cyan and is really only noticeable in the highlights.

   -David-

*****
Life is nothing but a competition to be
the criminal rather than the victim.