Re: Pigments for Tri-Color-Gum?

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 11/25/03-08:44:01 PM Z

> Chris says she found a "staining" pigment did stain when used without
> added size on the paper (Chris: did you try exactly the same motions and
> conditions with a "non-staining" paint?).

Judy and Loris,

I should have clarified; with the way the paint sunk in right away, any
pigment would've stained; it was not just that it was a staining pigment, as
that has happened with sepia also, which is not technically a staining
pigment. In other words, it was my practice that created the stain, not the
pigment, as Judy is saying. With more gum arabic the pigment would've
stayed above the paper surface instead of sinking into it.

Also, Loris, as far as opaque pigments, I have about 50 different pigments
mixed up that I use, and I just happened to use those opaque pigments today
for no particular reason, but I never worry about opacity if doing the first
coat. Generally I don't like cad yellow too much, so I was just trying to
use it up :) Venetian Red is opaque but it is such a beautiful color along
with a yellow ochre and a teal blue--those old Italian type colors...
Chris