Re: Ilex /shutter/Kodak lens I.D.

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 11/27/03-02:16:58 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter McDonald" <mcgordon@netspeed.com.au>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 2:06 AM
Subject: Ilex /shutter/Kodak lens I.D.

> Dear List:
>
> I wonder if one of the more learned and erudite members of
this knowledgeable list could identify an Ilex No. 4 ACME
shutter, with a Kodak Ektar 7.5 inch focal length, with a
maximum aperture of f:4.5, and a minimum aperture of f:32 ?
Facetiousness aside, the serial numbers are listed below:

> Lens serial number : EI 512
> Shutter serial number: S22-55
>
> There is another number on the Ilex, in much tinier
lettering, which I assume is a patent number,.
> However: 2,249,548; there are also some faded numbers
which might be a patent number, but I can't read them.

> I use the lens in my 10x8 Folmer Graflex Century
Universal, serial number 16174; would any one no its
approximate age?

> There are two other lenses I generally use, both stunning:
A Rodenstock Sironar f:6.8 360mm, and a Schneider Symmar,
f5.6 360mm. These have given me my best results so far with
10x8 Ziatypes.

> Thanks,
>
> Peter McDonald
> Canberra, Australia.

  As promised I looked up the Century Universal in
McKeown's. It was built by Graflex from about 1929 to about
1936. However, the known serial numbers for Graflex and its
predecessors do not make sense of the serial number above.
The company was known as the Folmer Graflex Corp. from 1926
to 1945, which fits the dates of manufacture McKeon gives
for the camera, however, they used six-digit serial numbers
during that period. Perhaps there is another digit there or,
perhaps, this was an production identifcation number stamped
on all parts meant to fit together.
  I looked up 2,249,548. Its a patent for a drawer
devider:-) However, I think you mis-read it. An Ilex Acme I
have in front of me has two patent numbers on the back, one
is 2,248,540 The 0 could look like an 8 especially if its
scratched a little. The other patent is 2,355,825, your
shutter probably also has this one on it.
  I don't know what to make of the S22-55, it certainly
looks like a date code but the lens is definitely from 1948.
The two Acme shutters I have here both have codes on them,
one being similar to yours but the other is 72-6, no "S", so
I think they are not date codes, at least not plainly
readable ones. Both of my shutters have Ilex lenses c.1960's
in them. One has three patent numbers on it:-) Ilex has the
master patent on the clock-work speed regulator which became
universally used for all high-quality shutters. I think the
company lived off the royalties for decades by updating the
patents occasionally.
  Since this is all very off topic here please contact me
personally if I can be of further help (assuming this was
helpful).

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA