RE: gum platinum . . . ?

From: David J. Greiner ^lt;godlike@elp.rr.com>
Date: 11/28/03-11:23:43 PM Z

Hello,

> -- who was Alvin Langdon Coburn?

Here's a link that some infor on him:

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/C/coburn/coburn.html

> -- what is (was. . . ?) a copper plate press?

photogravure and the like.

> -- do we have recipes for "gum platinum" prints, and are any of us
> doing them?

I've seen them when searching through the archives.

> -- what's with the garb Alvin is wearing? (i.e., do the hood,
> drawstring, and forearm pad bear significance to the printing process?).

It's nothing exceptional, just loosfitting and comfortable clothing for a
day working with a press (there's no hood BTW, his shir's puffed up
becausing he's leaning foward. I would guess that the pad (if that's what
it is) is so that he can rest his arms on the press. Who knows, he's an
artist, could be a hundred reasons for wearing it.

> -- was the backdrop paper, canvas, muslin. . . or a precursory
> Photoshop plug-in, perhaps? (:~>)

Looks like a wall, probably white.

   -David-

*****