Re: gum platinum . . . ?

From: PhotoGecko Austin ^lt;gecko@photogecko.com>
Date: 11/29/03-12:58:18 AM Z

Oy, vey.

Okay.

So, so far I've learned that I missed previous posts in the group about
gum platinum prints (tossed off, as if I should have KNOWN that).
(There couldn't have been that many, because I've read these posts
every darned day for going on five years now.)

--Okay. . . yeah, I should have known about gum platinum--you're right.
  No idea how I missed it.

--and that Alvin Langdon Coburn was influenced by Ezra Pound (the first
truly modern poet--meaning that his poems were image narratives--"put
down thy vanities"--like word photographs, yes?--a hero of mine, Ezra
is). That was helpful, thanks very much.

--but I don't buy the responses about the garb or the backdrop
(although I do admire and respect the responders, mind you). The garb
looks very utilitarian and purposeful. And the backdrop is a backdrop.
  It looks very studio to me. I mean, look at the set of the shadow.
Right?

So, hey. . . .

Tell me more.

It's a very compelling image--somewhere between portrait and
industrial. And very studio. Marxist, even.

. . . or maybe I'm just reading too much in to it. . . . what do I know
. . .?

I learn so much from all of you every day. And I'm grateful.

Go easy,
John
__________________________
John Campbell