Re: Fresson Process

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/05/03-02:36:56 PM Z

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Scott Wainer wrote:

> I remember, a while back, that there was a discussion on the list about
> the Fresson Process but forget the outcome of it. Anyway, I just came
> across a book called "Handbook of Photograph" edited by Henney and
> Dudley which has a four page description of the process. Unfortunately
> the title pages (containing ISBN, publisher, and print date) were ripped
> out, but the bibliography shows the work to be drawn from an article by
> Paul L. Anderson titled "The Fresson Process" in Am. Phot., October
> 1935.

I doubt if this article is going to satisfy current desire, since it
specifies a prepared paper no longer available (calling Fresson, BTW, a
revival of the Artigue process).

I cannot forbear noting that this is the same article by Paul Anderson
that has promulgated the glorious/infamous/eternal Gum-pigment ratio test,
though I daresay Fresson was more precisely laid out, depending as it did
on a commercial product, and not so vulnerable to, um, let's call it
personal interpretation.

A couple of the "dictionaries" of the period do have instructions on
making your own "Artigue" or Fresson paper... I have a couple of them
around and will cite in future. However, I'd assume that the Stanford
University website, which has so much of "the literature" would have
these, as well presumably as Henney- Dudley. (My edition is 1939, McGraw
Hill.)

J.