Re: neo-Pictorialism

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 10/06/03-04:58:18 PM Z

Just to be clear, the 'lying' reference doesn't mean I don't approve of
pictorial 'enhancements', just that it's easier to be all high and
mighty when you're not good at it. I agree with you that the whole
photographic process is 'extractive'. My point is that there was a
period where I think that prevailing photographic opinion worshipped at
the altar of so called un-manipulated reality. Anyone looking at my
stuff can see that I've personally taken a decisive stand and have a
foot firmly planted in both camps.

Remember the whole discussion started about 'how we got here', not
about what is necessarily 'right'. It is very easy to fall into the
trap of what I call temporal-centricity and ascribe current prevailing
thoughts and attitudes to those who preceded us. I daresay if any of us
got in a time machine and went back to Wildcat Hill circa 1936 and had
a drink with Edward Weston and talked art, he'd look at us like we had
an extra eye in the middle of our forehead.

Clay

And yes, it was fun. Everybody had all sorts of interesting work to
share with the group. Weather was great, and my sainted wife cooked
some killer fried chicken for everyone.