Re: Re: Chicago Alt Photo ?Thanks Sam Wang

From: Sam Wang (stwang1@bellsouth.net)
Date: 10/07/03-06:56:18 PM Z

Hey Mark,

While I was busy driving through Viking Twins territory, you've been spilling beans about my plans for a quick fortune!?

Yes, 800 grit sandpaper was the key, not your fancy diamond dust sanding block, that made the pinhole befitting the Nikon D1X. The hole was about as small as a crude push pin can make. Unfortunately, it was still kinda big and the focal length kinda long compared to what I wanted. Remember that the CCD is quite tiny compared to 35mm film. So the resulting lens is about equivalent to an 88mm lens on a 35mm camera, at about f/67.

The weird thing was how my upsidedown face looked right-side up in the picture!

Well, I just got word that they will probably put it in the new edition of Eric Renner's pinhole photography book, along with the picture of the camera.

So the cost for this pinhole camera was $5000 for the D1X body, $1 for the Coke, $0.35 for the sandpaper, and $390 for labor.

Sam