Re: A modern tintype dilemma

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 10/08/03-06:35:43 PM Z

I can't help you much but I did try one of those modern tintype kits and
after reading the directions could not get it to work. A few years went by
and I tried it again. This time on the last plate I discovered that it was
necessary to underexpose the plate. I was making 4 x 5 plates and putting
them in a camera. That last plate had a faint image on it. Since then I have
read that the tintype process does use underexposed plates. I'm talking two
or three stops below what you would use to get a good negative.

I hope this is of some help.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

>From: jlee81@sbcglobal.net
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: A modern tintype dilemma
>Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:00:52 -0400
>
>After lurking in this list for quite some time now I finally have a
>question. I am working with the modern tintype process (w/ photo emulsion
>not collodion). I have been following the directions I have read but to
>little avail. My problem is that I'm having trouble finding a great deal on
>this subject. I have both Jill Einfeld's book and Christopher James' book.
>I am mixing up my own developer (2:1 dektol w/ "a little" exhausted fixed
>fix) which I feel may be the main problem. Also I'm not sure of the range
>of exposure times I should be using. In James' book it says 20 sec.
>intervals for a test strip, but at the same time he recommends using a UV
>light rather than an enlarger. So is that 20 sec. under the uv or the
>enlarger? My early results have good detail but were very dark and totally
>brown. My second attempt was much lighter and had all the pretty colors I
>wanted (greens, blues, browns..) but were so light there was very little
>detail. Also upon dry-down they lost all of their glimmer. So my question
>is (finally) if anyone is working in, or has worked in, this process could
>you please explain your way of doing it and what works, or doesn't, for
>you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an entire senior years
>worth of work to do and I'm feeling a little lost.
>
>thanks,
>
>Jordan
>
>P.S. I am using roofer's shims, spray painted matt black, coated w/ vc
>emulsion from the formulary, exposed under a uv for 1-5mins, or the
>enlarger for 5+, and developing in dektol 2:1 plus an amount a fix ranging
>from 100ml to 1L.

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy
patented spam protection and more. Sign up now!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa