RE: Neo-Pictorialism, sally mann and Witkin (sort of)

From: Jeff Buckels (jeffbuck@swcp.com)
Date: 10/11/03-03:36:22 PM Z

"She consulted her kids first"?? What does it mean to "consult" an
8-year-old child? And, again, what does it mean if this "consulting" is
being handled by the very adult who will be profiting professionally
from the exhibition of the pictures? I mean, can agree that Sally Mann
herself (and/or her husband) has a conflict of interest when she herself
is seeking the consent of her children to this? Also, that she has
(presumably) undue influence upon them to boot? That puts completely
aside the question whether any 8-year-old can give a valid consent to
anybody. As for the children being proud of the work, what difference
does that make? The fact that an 8-year-old just might (who knows?) end
up proud of the work 20 years later doesn't make the 8-year-old into a
twenty-five-year-old at the time of the so-called "consultation." -JB