Re: Neo-Pictorialism, sally mann and Witkin (sort of)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/13/03-11:11:55 AM Z

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, shannon stoney wrote:
> ... It's too bad
> that children's beauty and nascent sexuality is a sexual turn-on for
> some people, but it would be naive to pretend that that doesn't exist
> because it shouldn't exist.

I agree with the first clause above, but disagree with the second -- that
it *shouldn't* exist. All eroticism is probably a matter of degree... if
it weren't erotic to some extent women would take less delight in nursing
their babies.... etc. etc. etc. That childhood sexuality is a two-way
street is NORMAL... I realize that Freud is as tabu today as naked babies,
but that doesn't mean "the family romance" doesn't exist. Where does the
time-honored term "oedipal complex" come from. Of course the Greeks
didn't have cameras so maybe they could deal with it. Meanwhile, however,
normal adults sublimate, repress, accept, put in proportion, etc. etc.
etc.

PS. Interestingly, Hitler outlawed Freud BEFORE he got to Jews and other
undesirables in general.

Judy