RE: Neo-Pictorialism, sally mann

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/13/03-11:14:41 AM Z

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Jeff Buckels wrote:

> Her new work is unremarkable, as has been all the work she's done except
> for the nudes of her kids. If it wasn't for the nudes of her kids, no
> one would have ever heard of Sally Mann. -jb

Not so -- though many on this list would apparently not have heard of her.
I was once in a gallery that also represented Sally Mann... probably
before her kids were born. She was already well known for "At Twelve"
which she showed in platinum. Her southern collodion landscapes of recent
times were also very well received -- dramatic, exquisite, fabulous (with
big reviews in the art mags). That the culture at large is more interested
in sex AND CONTROVERSY than in landscape isn't her fault.

I don't mention the legions of male photographers who made a name with
tiresome clicheed naked ladies... (If they slept with the models before or
after did that make it better or worse?)

J.