Re: {OT} Neo-Pictorialism and sentimentality

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/13/03-12:20:16 PM Z

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, shannon stoney wrote:

> >The taste of victorianism was sentiment. The taste of today is irony. I
> >remember our 10th grade English teacher declaring that it was impossible
> >to read about the death of Little Nell without laughing. That was long
> >ago of course, but irony had set in, perhaps spearheaded by English
> >teachers tired of Dickens.
> >

> She stole that from Oscar Wilde, who said, "One would have to have a
> heart of stone to read of the death of Little Nell without laughing."

Of course Oscar Wilde was, besides his genius, a pioneer in so many ways,
some of them tragic.... but that one was before my time, and before I'd
read any Wilde. Glad my English teacher's sources were good.

As for the difference between photographs of naked or partially clothed
children in their daily lives and activities, full of personality, seen as
little people --INCLUDING their faces -- now (it seems) taboo under any
and all circumstances -- and naked ladies in stereotyped poses, as
OBJECTS, and RARELY with their faces, until lately given a blanket pass as
"a neutral art form," what more can I say?

Ok, I wasn't saying the naked ladies should be banned, but that they are
so rarely "art."

J.