RE: Digital cyanotype negs

From: Rocky J. Boudreaux (rocky@pdq.net)
Date: 10/15/03-03:23:09 PM Z

Been a little busy and just got to read emails.
Shannon thank you for those kind words.
You are correct on all counts.
Actually I used Dan's template he provides on a CD I got at one of his
workshops.
I believe he now sells them so I will not violate copyright laws by
furnishing details on it.
I used his Platinum Template for a 0-55-55-0 colorized negative for the 1280
Epson Printer.

The basics of achieving my results are:
Pro Art 160 Pro Weight Water Color Paper
Treated in Oxalic Acid
Bostick & Sullivan Cyanotype Kit
Hydrogen Peroxide oxider
Borax Bleach
Household Ammonia Bleach
Epson 1280 Printer
Pictorico or Office Depot Item 853-003 transparency film (much less
expensive for learning)
My original file came from a Fuji S2.
34.7 mg JPG at 72 dpi capture.
A basic procedure would be:
Resize image at 360dpi (do not resample)
Adjust levels
Desaturate image
Get it like you want
Invert image
Flip horizontal (this can be done in the printing stage)

Add new fill layer solid color (Color None, Mode color)
Set CMYK 0-55-55-0
Or
New Layer then
Use fill tool (Paint bucket) set to C=0,M=55,y=55,k=0 to fill new layer
(Dan's colors seem to be a little different)

Apply a curve appropriate for Platinum.
When you print, reduce the printing saturation to -25, c-25, m-25, y-25.
I like a slightly denser looking negative so I use -20 on the settings.
Different printers different settings etc.
It looks too thin to print but it surprised me.

Now do you really think I went through all that when I can just order it
from Dan at such a reasonable price and simply drag and drop my image into
his template?
Better order now before he realizes it's too cheap.
It's like the lady on TV slaving away frying chicken "You gotta be
kiddding", KFC here I come.
It'll pay for itself in materials not to mention time.

www.danburkholder.com
Inkjet Negative Companion
©2003 Bladed Iris Press
43 pages, 36 illustrations
Available on CDROM.
$22.00 plus $5.00 for Priority Mail (2-3 days) shipping. Texas residents
please add $1.82 sales tax.
Coming soon: download the Inkjet Negative Companion for just $15.00!
Hope you don't consider this note a copyright infringement Dan.
If so let me know and I won't do it again.
Better to beg forgiveness then ask permission they say.

Cyanotype was fun and I plan to do more first chance I get.

Rocky
Houston, TX