Re: {OT} Neo-Pictorialism and sentimentality

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 10/15/03-03:36:19 PM Z

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> What are some of the currently recognised as accurate books on this topic
> (art history/photography history)?

No one has stuck their neck out on this, so what the hey ... For
photography I still like Frizot, A New History of Photography, tho I still
haven't finished it. For art history, my feeling is that those books have
gotten extremely specialized, tending to address one theme or school. For
ideas, see maybe reviews in Art in America or NY Times Book Review right
before Christmas...

Tho some of the classics are probably still classic. Like Gombrich (damn,
I'm blanking on the title -- Art & Illusion (?) was the one I liked
best)... but IMO NONE of them, NONE NONE NONE can deal with modern art.
Gombrich, Shapiro, Barzun, Arnheim, Clark, Janson (infamous for not
mentioning a single woman artist until the last edition, after the women's
movement had been jumping up & down on him for 10 or 20 years), even
Shock-of-the-New Robert Hughes freak out when they get to Warhol. The
earlier ones don't do too well with Ab-Ex either. In fact IMO if they get
Warhol, they're probably OK for 20th century. But "art history" is 5000
years. I doubt one book could suffice, tho maybe some of today's students
have a better idea...

J.